Any Taiwanese citizen whose household is registered in Taiwan must enroll in the National Health Insurance program when their six-month residency has been established. Those who are employed in Taiwan are not subject to the six-month wait. Babies with Taiwanese citizenship, born in Taiwan, are enrolled in the program from the day they are born. The National Health Insurance program classifies the insured into six categories depending on their employment status. Individuals who are residents of Taiwan but are unemployed or in between jobs must remain enrolled based on their current status. They cannot interrupt their insurance coverage.
|If you are eligible to register in category 1 or 2, you cannot choose category 3. If you are eligible to register in category 3, you cannot choose category 4, and so on.
- If you work for a company, the government or any other organization, you should be registered in the National Health Insurance program through your employer (formally known as the "insurance registration organization").
- If you are the head of a company or corporation, you should form an insurance registration organization to enroll yourself, employees, and their family members in the National Health Insurance program.
- If you belong to a union, or a farmers' or fishermen's association, you should have your union or association registers you in the National Health Insurance program. If you simultaneously belong to a union and a farmers' or fishermen's association, you should have the union register you.
- If you are unemployed but are a legal dependent of an employed spouse or a direct blood relative, you should enroll through your spouse or relative's insurance registration organization (employer, union, etc.) as a dependent. If you qualify as a family dependent of two or more relatives, you should enroll through the closest blood relative.
- If you are unemployed, and cannot enroll as a legal dependent of a relative (i.e., parents, spouses, or children), then the administrative office of the village, township, city or area where your household is registered is your insurance registration organization. Please enroll in the National Health Insurance program through that office.
If you reside abroad for more than two years without returning, your household registration will be automatically terminated, and you will no longer be eligible to participate in the National Health Insurance program. You will also be required to complete the necessary procedures to withdraw from the program. When you re-establish residency in Taiwan at a later date, you can apply for enrollment again.